Subject: Sigh, snapshot source?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1999 20:35:38
Hello Ragge and everyone,

My quest to get to a buildable source tree is hitting artifical barriers.
This is the current one.

The last "release" where the VAX had a port was 1.3.2, the most stable
"release" is the december snapshot with Michael's kernel. Michaels kernel
was built with some changes in libkvm so things like ps(1) don't work.
However the 1.3.3 libkvm doesn't work either, so I'm thinking I need the
'snapshot' kvm but getting there has been harder than I thought.

I ftped all of the sources from current. But of course they don't even come
close to building. Someone is adding MK*** to them (MKPROFILE, MKPIC, etc)
and hasn't finished. Whenever it hits a make file where these aren't set,
boom! I'm not comfortable setting them globally yet. Sigh.

What I'd really like is to see the vax version of 1.3.3 with source that
compiles. Then I would have a reasonable base from which to start.

I realize this is simply due to the instability introduced going from 1.3,2
and static libs to 1.3.3 and dynamic libs but it is way painful.

--Chuck