Subject: Re: Wow! BIG jump, but now different problems...
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1999 01:36:33
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Bruce Lane wrote:

> 	1). At one point in the boot process, it says 'Boot device: <unknown>' and
> prompts me for 'Root device:' I have been responding 'qe0' sans quotes
> since the root is located on a Linux box.

right.

> 	2). The next thing it prompts me for is 'Dump device:' I've been telling
> it 'None.' Is this right?

Just hit enter.

> 	3). Here's the kicker. It then asks me for 'file system' to which I've
> tried responding with both 'generic' (the default) and 'nfs.' The result is
> the same: It gets to this point...

Either generic or nfs should work okay.

> 	exec /sbin/init: error 8
> 	init not found
> 	Panic: no init
> 	(it then says 'Stopped at' and gives a hex address)
> 	db>
>
> 	...and then halts as shown with a db> prompt. I find, then, that I have
> some very limited commands. However, I've also checked the directory on the
> Linux box where the NetBSD tree is. I have it stashed in:
>
> 	/home/netbsd/root
>
> 	And, when I ls -l the directory /home/netbsd/root/sbin/init, the file is
> very much present and accounted for. The permissions are set at 755, so I
> know I can read and execute it remotely, and the group is set to 0 for the
> entire directory.
>
> 	Any thoughts?

On your Linux box what does your /etc/exports entry for /home/netbsd/root
look like?

It's also possible that NetBSD may be doing some paranoia check on init's
permissions.  On all my systems the permissions for /sbin/init are set to
544. Not terribly likely, but it may be a reasonable shot in the dark.

> 	As a final note: Once I get netbooting straightened out once and
> for all, is there a FAQ to do a local installation on a netbooted
> workstation? I'd rather not have to depend on the Linux box being a
> bootserver its entire life.

Don't know about any disk docs.

-brian.
---