Subject: Re: Making progress: NetBoot for VAXen
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/27/1999 01:14:16
On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Bruce Lane wrote:

> 	I'm making progress. Slowly, but surely, I'm going to get this going.
>
> 	Here's where I stand at the moment. I'm using the
> boot-Lance.mopformat bootloader to get a VAXServer 3100 (same CPU as
> VAXStation 3100) going. It gets through connecting to the NFS-exported
> root filesystem on the Linux box, and it even tries to start NetBSD,
> but it hangs after the following line.
>
> 700416+38912+75784 start 0x9c078
>
> 	Also, after this point, the TK70 tape drive beeps. This tells me
> that NetBSD is at least trying to probe the SCSI bus. However, after
> that line appears, not even the manual 'Halt' pushbutton on the back
> has any effect. I need to actually power it off to get it to reset.
>
> 	I'm using the gennetbsd kernel dated 16-Jan-99 as the initial
> boot source. Is this not right?

VAXserver 3100s are special like MicroVAX 3100s.  What's happening is that
the kernel is actually booting up fine, but you're losing the serial
console.  Ragge mentioned some recent work on this to get the behavior to
be a bit more sane.  I'm not sure what the state of things are in
-current.

I remember someone saying that the consle switches over to either port 3
or port 4.  It's been discussed in the list within the past two months, so
it shouldn't be too hard to track down the topic in the list archives.

-brian.
---