Subject: Re: Suggestions, bugs
To: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/26/1999 13:00:03
cmcmanis@mcmanis.com said:
> DHCP succeeds and that gives qe0 some address but no file handle
> (netbooting here) and then when that times out the system "falls back"
> to revarp but the interface already has an address so it can't
> successfully revarp it!

While I'm still clueless about VAXen (see below), I've changed
the diskless startup some weeks ago so that it should clean
up interface addresses and routes if the mount fails.
Perhaps you can try a newer kernel and report whether it
works for you.

> Consider swapping it so that revarp is tried first (if this times out then
> the interface is still left unconfigured), and _then_ try DHCP. That would
> let my systems co-exist much more nicely on the network.

DHCP is much better for diskless startup because it can pass
all needed parameters, so it is the first tried for a good reason.
It seems to me that your coexistance problems are rather caused
bu a stupid, or misconfigured, or both, DHCP server. (Let me guess
what OS it runs on... :-)

While I'm here: I've got a VS3200 (ka650 I think) here which
I didn't succeed netbooting yet. I tried a number of mopboot.sys
like files I found on FTP servers. These were loaded, but the
console printed some "illegal instruction" or "halt instruction"
and came back. (Can reproduce it if needed.)
Can someone point me to a working bootloader for this machine?

best regards
Matthias