Subject: Suggestions, bugs
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/24/1999 13:29:58
Hi Michael,

Thanx for making your kernel build available.

I'm having a slight problem with your kernel. The default is to try DHCP
first and then try revarp/bootparams. Unfortunately for networks like mine
where DHCP exists for the PeeCees that want to autoconfigure their IP it
screws up the VAX. DHCP succeeds and that gives qe0 some address but no
file handle (netbooting here) and then when that times out the system
"falls back" to revarp but the interface already has an address so it can't
successfully revarp it!

Consider swapping it so that revarp is tried first (if this times out then
the interface is still left unconfigured), and _then_ try DHCP. That would
let my systems co-exist much more nicely on the network.

Now on the 991201 kernel I am getting a diskwait hang. I get a process
stuck in diskwait and once that happens everything that touches the
controller also hangs. (MSCP Q bus controller). Does the GENERIC kernel
have a keyboard sequence to pop into ddb?

--Chuck