Subject: Re: Hardware help needed, VS4000/90
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1999 20:44:01
Hi !

> After successful POST, it refused to boot: "UNXINT". The sequence "H I
> U" is in my fingers since my 11/785 days, I entered it and got:

What the heck does this sequence ? UNXINT may be "UNeXpected INTerrupt",
but i don't know, no infos about VAXen.

>         MEM_TOP = 04000000
>         MEM_BOT = 00000000
>
>           MEM_NOT_AVAIL
>         -----------------
>         03FB5E00:03FFFFFF

Do i read right ? 64 MB ? nice :-)

> ?? 041   5       MEM  0260
>
>   84 FAIL

Shit !

> ?? CRPT - Reenter bit clr

I got this after doing something like "DE /N:100000 200e0000" or such
useless things (to look for the framebuffer registers :-). But Power OFF
and ON again helped. I think, it could be something with cache control.

> I've tried swapping memory boards (I have 4x4MB and 4x16MB) in and out
> in various combinations all night. No go.
>
> The machine has had this problem on and off since I got it over six
> months ago, but now it has become completely useless. Just as I was
> going to test Michael's kernel!

It's not my kernel ! Really (i hope :-)

> Anyone know what all this means? Are all my memory boards defect?

I think you tried combinations such as 2*4, both pairs, and then mixed,
and whatever you could do to just have every 2-module-pair checked. If
so, the problem must be real fatal. I could imagine cache problems, but
if it's present a longer time and now the box completely dies, it could
also be a PCB problem. As i would think, the memory is checked by the
ROM with the cache disabled (as PCs do), so only the PCB problem is
left. The only thing you can do in this case: Take a big screwdriver,
completely unmount the machine, clean everything and reassemble it. This
is not a real way to repair it, but it worked many times. Maybe a
connector just needs to be moved again. The problem of the 4000s is:
They don't run without the frame buffer (tested on my 4000 VLC), but you
could try.

You MUST fix it, for two reasons: the box is nearly as fast as all my
VAXen together, the fastest supported for now, as i know, and 2) I must
know if my patches really work on the 4000/90 :-)
You could also pull out the RTC-chip, lay it on metal (power supply) for
some seconds and reinsert it. This resets the setup values, so really
nothing has been left untried. (Ok, not the elegant way, but it works).

cu..Michael