Subject: Re: Snapshot isn't VAX code??!?
To: <>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/23/1999 12:11:14
>On Mon, 22 Mar 1999, Chuck McManis wrote:
>
>> The code on ftp.netbsd.org in :
>> /pub/NetBSD/arch/vax/snapshot/19981201/binary/sets
>>
>> Is _NOT_ vax code. It may have been at one time but it isn't now. To
verify
>> it extract any executable out of base.tgz and run the file command on it.
>> You will see what I mean.
>>
>> I'm wondering if somehow someone byteswapped it or something when
>>writing it.
>
>>From what system are you checking the binaries with `file'?

Actually I ran into this behaviour also, this was with NetBSD-vax 1.3.2
and NetBSD-hp300 1.3.2. The file command on the hp always reports something
funny, on the kernel it reported it as i386-something and executables were
also something weird. Anyway, my uV2K booted up nicely so I guess that
file(1) is somehow screwed up or ignorant...

Uh, I mean it doesn't report *VAX* executables correctly, everything else
seems to work.. (NeXT, intel-*, hp300, PA-RISC, vax/VMS etc.)
--
Jarkko Teppo
jarkko.teppo@nfp.fi