Subject: Snapshot woes
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/22/1999 16:54:29
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get a reasonably stable system up (at least something I can
build the world on so that I can actually help rather than complain. :-) My
system is a uVax II (KA630 CPU) with the DELQA (M7516) ethernet, MSCP disk
(670MB). I've also got a SCSI tape drive (MSCP controller that pretends its
a TK50)

I'm trying to get snapshot running on it.

This is what I can do:
	I can netboot the miniroot.
	I can netboot 1.3
	I created a new NFS file system with everything in the 12011998
	snapshot and tried a variety of kernels. They all fail in
	different ways:
	With the snapshot kernel (kern.tgz) I get:
		?06 HLT INST
		PC = 800C2706
	With the Brian's Kernel I get:
		?06 HLT INST
		PC = 800BB276
	With the 990101 kernel I get
		?06 HLT INST
		PC = 800C8B6A
	With the 1.3 kernel the system boots
	but when it trys to start init it says:
		exec /sbin error 8
		init: not found
		panic: no init
		db>

Which, reading the source claims it is an exec format error suggesting my
sbin is hosed but from how? Another weirdness is as follows:

On my Intel FreeBSD system (which is acting as the NFS server for this guy)
the command 'file sbin/init' returns "little endian ispell hash file?" but
on the miniroot version it returns NetBSD/vax demand paged executable.

I used "gzip -dc | tar -xvpf -" on the intel system to untar the tarball
into a source tree, I suppose the version of either tar or gzip could be
incompatible but somehow I doubt it.

What's up guys?
--Chuck