Subject: Anyone ever seen this...?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/21/1999 11:37:53
	As many of you may know, I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to get a
MicroVAX II to netboot with NetBSD since January of this year. I'd like to
thank all those who have responded so far for their help, and I will say
this much: Troubleshooting is an effective teacher!

	The Linux box is a 486/66, Red Hat 5.2, kernel 2.0.36.

	Still no luck as of this date, however. About the best I can do is get the
MOP daemon to respond. As near as I can tell, it's not sending the
bootloader file to the VAX. Has anyone ever encountered debug output from
mopd that looks like this?

(beginning when the VAX is first started with b/100 xqa0, and I'm
specifying MOPBOOT as the boot file name. The VAX's MAC address is as shown
in the first line, and my Linux box, acting as the boot server, is the
other one).

MOP DL 8:0:2b:23:42:cb > ab:0:0:1:0:0 len 18 code 08 RPR
MOP DL 0:60:8c:37:fb:c7 > 8:0:2b:23:42:cb len 1 code 03 ASV

	This cycle repeats until the VAX times out and gives up. Seems to me that
the reply from MOPD should be a heck of a lot longer than 1 byte!

	My /etc/ethers looks like this.

	arvon 08:00:2b:23:42:cb
	tesla 00:60:8c:37:fb:c7

	In the /tftpboot/mop directory, I've got the VAX bootloader file
(boot-DEQNA.mopformat) and a symbolic link called MOPBOOT.SYS pointing to it.

	Any thoughts? I'm not giving up on this until I see that silly MVII boot,
dang it! ;-)

	I've E-mailed already to Brian Chase (just waiting for a reply), as well
as the author of mopd and the fellow who ported the thing to Linux.

	Worst case, I'll go and order a NetBSD CD-ROM and use NetBSD/i386 instead
of Linux for a bootserver. However, for the benefit of others who may
depend on Linux, I'd like to see this work so that my experience can help
someone avoid the months-long effort that I've put out.

	Thanks in advance.

Bruce Lane, Owner and head honcho, Blue Feather Technologies
http://www.bluefeathertech.com
Amateur Radio:(WD6EOS) E-mail: kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com
SysOp: The Dragon's Cave (Fido 1:343/272, 253-639-9905)
"Our science can only describe an object, event, or living thing in our own
human terms. It cannot, in any way, define any of them..."