Subject: Re: netmasks and IP
To: Brian D Chase , Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1999 18:15:27
At 05:56 PM 3/17/99 -0800, Brian D Chase wrote:
>Then how come netbooting my VAXstations with bootparamd works fine for
>me?  I've always setup my bootservers with 10.x.y.z/255.255.255.0 as my
>bootserver IP/netmask pair.  I'm not saying that it *should* work in light
>of your statements... but it does work.

Because perhaps someone has hacked the IP code on your boot server? What
OS/Version is it running? I believe both Linux and *BSD put the IP input
code in the same directory, do a find on ip_input.c and see how it computes
the broadcast address. I saw a post on one of the newsgroups that someone
had hacked their ip_input.c to use the test
	if (ip_addr & netmask == ~netmask)
which has the effect of allowing any address that has a string of one bits
at the end to be treated as a broadcast address, but it breaks the ability
to run several subnets on the same ethernet segment (hence it wasn't
integrated into the source tree AFAIK)

--Chuck

P.S. Brian, I found a 'boot-DEQNA.mopformat' somewhere, was that yours? I'm
using it to net boot my uVax II.