Subject: Re: bootp support in kernel
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1999 16:03:50
On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999, Michael Kukat wrote:

> > BOOTP if nicer 'cause of the netmask also supported (i hope, this works,
> > my network is correctly Class-C with 192.168-addresses), BOOTPARAM makes
> > trouble with often used 10.x.x.x networks with Class-C-netmask.
>
> I have read this thing about the netmask in a lot of posts by now, and I
> think it's time someone put this straight, so I'll try...

[...]

Whereas I'm in the boat (or raft) of people trying to figure out exactly
what Michael means by there being problems with 10.* class A addresses and
bootparamd.  :-/

I use a subnet of 10.3.250.* at home and have never had any problems with
using bootparamd from: i386/Linux, NeXTSTEP/m68k, NetBSD/i386,
OpenBSD/i386, or NetBSD/sparc.  Someone had sent me bug report and patch
for bootparamd running under Alpha/Linux, but I'm still trying to figure
out where it's buried in my e-mail.

-brian.
---