Subject: Netbooting 3100s with the snapshot
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@igps.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/17/1999 10:43:02
So I've had some qualified success getting my cluster of 3100/m38's up.
I'm sorta cheating in one respect, and that's probably what's causing my
first problem.

1. I don't have the right MMJ plug yet, so I've been using my QDSS color
monitor plugged into the back of the 3100/m38 SPX. At first, everything
looked good, until I managed to get the kernel up. Then I realized the
following: During initial testing and reading the mop file, up until the
point at which the kernel is loaded, the video signal is sent over the
BLUE video line. Once the kernel loads, it is sent over the RED video
line (leaving, I might add, previously output stuff on the blue line) -
unfortunately, there seems to be a difference in sync between the red
and blue lines. The blue stuff is squarely on the screen and stable, the
red (with blue and green still plugged in) spins rapidly across the
screen from lower left to upper right. I tried unplugging the red line
and plugging it into the green on the monitor (with all others
unplugged), and I get a mostly readable screen, but the top half is out
of sync. Any easy solution to this? (other than buying heads, or MMJ
adapters, I'll do that later).

2. ps doesn't seem to work (981201 snapshot, 990101 kernel, no swap, nfs
root). I forget the exact error message, it's something like : Procsize
mismatch.

Thanks for all the help.

-Buckaroo