Subject: Re: Kernel panic on 1.3.2
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/16/1999 11:18:13
Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se> writes:

> Yes, it's instabibity in the vax VM code in the 1.3x releases. You
> should use the latest snapshot instead.

...unless you have a KA650, in which case -current is less stable than
1.3.2 was.  I can get -current to crash or to hang with the
"scheduler: no room for pid N" message on a KA630 too, if I load it
down enough, but it's extremely repeatable on the KA650, making that
a for all practical purposes unsupported platform for the time being.

With a very fresh -current, it seems that the scheduler hang is the
most common failure mode, and it happens whenever I run anything
that's a real memory hog, such as 'make'.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"