Subject: Re: 4000/60 serial console
To: None <damian@ccc.bu.aust.com>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/1999 19:45:15
Hi !

> I have just acquired a 4000/60.

Nice toy... one of the fastest of those boxes.

> It seems to have 24 Mb of ram, half a hard disk (it looks like they had
> to remove the hard disk in a hurry and have removed the mechanicals but
> left the electronics behind)

Is THAT possible ? But doesn't matter, just put in any SCSI drive, when 53c94
is running some day.

> The machine lights up ok (i have a keyboard+mouse+mono monitor).
>
> A few questions:
>
> I understand that there is not yet support for scsi nor the graphic console.
> Is this still the case?

4000 series isn't even started to be graphical, but if you have the same
graphics controller as i have (4000 VLC with HR-8PLN FB), maybe you needn't
wait too long. Just enter "show conf" and tell me the output at "LCG" and
"AUD".

> If it is, I assume I will have to use a serial console - which brings me to
> my main question!  What do I need to do to activate a serial console on
> this?  I figure I can make up the MMJ console lead if I have to (it looks
> VERY similar to the cisco's console/aux ports in pinouts).

> Do I need to set any options from the boot rom to enable a serial console?

You need a cable (DEC makes adapters and cables for standard RS-232 ports),
pinout is somewhere in the hardware reference on the netbsd pages, flip the
switch on the right side (S3) up, and you can use it with the serial console.

> I plan to have this netbooting from a linux box - There seems to be plenty
> of info around for this part of the process.  Do I need to take any special
> steps for the 4000 ?

It's old, but i think it helped many people:
http://www.camaronet.de/download/mop-survival-pack.tgz

I'll release a better documentation, if i have the time, but this might help
(including glibc-compiled and fixed mopd)

> Hardware question time - What is the DB15M connector next to the mousekb
> connectors for?  Also, what is the connector on the front with the icon of
> a phone handset for?

DB15M - i don't have it, but if you have no strange looking connector on the
rear, with 3 coax connectors i a D-connector case, then this must be your video
output, maybe it's a LR-Framebuffer in this case. VS 3100 has this monitor
connector. Pinout must be somewhere in those hardware refs. (I have it here, if
you neet it). The "phone plug" should be some kind of audio connector, mono,
microphone in and speaker out. More details: My pinout page (not uploaded, but
it should be in the hardware refs)

cu.. Michael