Subject: 4000/60 serial console
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <penfold@artemis.home>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/1999 22:52:43
G'day all,

I have just acquired a 4000/60.

It seems to have 24 Mb of ram, half a hard disk (it looks like they had
to remove the hard disk in a hurry and have removed the mechanicals but
left the electronics behind)

The machine lights up ok (i have a keyboard+mouse+mono monitor).

A few questions:

I understand that there is not yet support for scsi nor the graphic console.
Is this still the case?

If it is, I assume I will have to use a serial console - which brings me to
my main question!  What do I need to do to activate a serial console on
this?  I figure I can make up the MMJ console lead if I have to (it looks
VERY similar to the cisco's console/aux ports in pinouts).

Do I need to set any options from the boot rom to enable a serial console?

I plan to have this netbooting from a linux box - There seems to be plenty
of info around for this part of the process.  Do I need to take any special
steps for the 4000 ?

Hardware question time - What is the DB15M connector next to the mousekb
connectors for?  Also, what is the connector on the front with the icon of
a phone handset for?

Many thanks in advance.

Damian Maxwell
damian@ccc.bu.aust.com