Subject: Re: VS 4000 VLC owners: test this !
To: Hans Christian Saustrup <hc@saustrup.dk>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/1999 23:05:19
Hi !

Yes, my first mail written on one of my VAXes :-)
(Ok, telnetting the Linux Server)

> The Vax bootsequence displays some of the /etc/bootparamd content during
> boot, so I guess there's a connection. It still keeps throwing sunrpc
> packages out to 10.255.255.255 - I read McManis' reply to this, but I can't
> see that I have to change my netmask to boot my Vax. It's a rather large
> "home network", containing several subnets and.. stuff. An alternative
> solution would be appreciated.

I have 4 VAXen, 4 PCs, a PC Server, a Etherminal and several other stuff in my
home network, it works without problems. But i encountered the same problem
when putting the data for my new 2 VAXstation 3100m76 into the files. I
restarted the nfs daemons and the bootparamd and it just worked. I never looked
where the kernel gets its netmask from, but if you installed your 10.x.x.x
network as class C network it could be the problem. Either you change the
netmask to the official Class A network or you take an 192.168.x.y class C
network. So it runs fine here. If i see the code getting the netmask in the
kernel, i can tell more, but as i know, it doesn't come from RARP, so the
kernel must figure out the mask itself, and so it only can use the values
assigned by some internet gurus. You could patch the kernel to make 10.x.x.x as
Class C net, it would run this way, but you have to do so every kernel update.

> > BTW: the switch at the right side of the 4000 VLC is to select serial console
> > or graphic console as i know. If you get graphics output in both positions, you
> > may have another framebuffer. I also found out, that there's a difference i
> > retraces when selecting serial console.
>
> You're right about that. When I select graphics, I get the usual selftest
> progressbar, but not the normal bootmenu. A list of languages is shown on
> the screen, but since I have no keyboard nor mouse at this point (I've
> talked to my Vaxman, and it seems he's got some of the good stuff for me), I
> can't really select any of them.
> I have no idea if the retracefrequency changes, but I dont think so?
> Frequencyselect is done with the internal dipswitch.

I would be lucky if i could select it. I have no monitor making 1280x1240 at 75 Hz or whatever there comes out :-) 3 19"ers, but all fixed-freq with 1024x768. HR means High Resolution, and therefore, there's no low resolution. But i'll try to find the clockchip of this LCG and change the divider. It this works, and if the Bt458 is also reprogrammable, i could get every resolution i want out of the VS 4000 VLC. But that's far away. Now i have to get it running stable and find the cache controls. I have 3 3100ers to compile now :-)

So long.. Michael