Subject: Hello? Questions and more questions
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/10/1999 14:07:08
Hello all,

All the majordomo handshaking seems to have subsided so I presume I'm
subscribed.

I'm bringing up NetBSD on a uVAX II (BA123) with the following configuration:
	KA630 CPU
	2 x 4MB RAM (8MB Total)
	M7516 DELQNA ethernet
	Viking QTO tape connected to Exabyte 8200 8mm dat drive
	Sigma Solutions RQ11D-EC ESDI Q-bus controller with
		- Maxtor XT-8760E
		- Micropolis 1568
	disks attached (each 760MB)

I've invested $83 so far (trying to keep it under $100 :-)

Following the network booting FAQ I've managed to get this system booted as
a diskless node hanging off my FreeBSD system. I recently confirmed that
the Viking is successfully emulating an MSCP tape drive and I can read and
write to it as /dev/rmt0 using the generic system.

Notes for the FAQ maintainer:
	To net boot a uVax II with a DEQNA interface type
		>>>b/100 XQA0
	Make sure the you have mopboot.sys linked to
		boot-DEQNA.mopformat

What I want to do now is to label the disks and transfer the OS to disk so
that I can unhook it from the network on occasion :-)

So the controller can "emulate" any number of DEC disks but since this
isn't VMS I'm not sure whether that is necessary. I can get into the WOMBAT
utility from the console and using that low-level format the disk. I've not
been able to find edlabel in the generic net bootable release and I've not
found a way to keep it from asking root device? on reboot (it sees the disk
of but it doesn't know what it is)

My question is what is the attach function in the driver looking for, is
there something equivalent to SunOS' format utility (which also labelled
disks) and where do I go from here?

--Chuck