Subject: Re: New boot program inchecked.
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: J. Buck Caldwell <buckaroo@partyline.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/06/1999 14:05:40
Regarding the boot code - I've got an odd situation. I recently bombed out
my working 3600/GPX while trying to upgrade, and just now got around to
rebuilding it (had some netboot problems, went away with the latest
snapshot/kernel combo).
However, I'm using the latest snapshot boot and the latest kernel (990101),
and for some reason, my QDSS doesn't work anymore. The machine comes up, and
does show the system tests and 2.. dua0 1..0.. on the QDSS, then the boot
program takes over and moves to the serial console, and the kernel stays
there. Also, the boot code never automatically kicks in and loads the kernel
(it just waits for me to type "boot").

Is this something obvious that I'm doing wrong? Or have we lost QDSS? I
haven't gone through and competely rebuilt from the snapshot - that's my
next option.

Also - is the graphics head on the 3100/m38 supported yet as a console? I
don't have a cable to hook the ($##@!#$) MMJ port to a terminal, but my QDSS
monitor/kb/mouse cable plugs nicely into the head port of the m38s. Of
course, if the boot program isn't going to automatically load the kernel,
this still leaves me up the creek without the proverbial paddle, because I
can't go into the non-existant serial console and type "boot".

 -Buckaroo