Subject: Re: VAX pain and bane but some joy in the end.....
To: Anders Hogrelius SdU <elt96ahs@mds.mdh.se>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/1999 21:30:58
Hi !

Ok, some comments to the installation problems, i often see here:

Disk boot is a nice idea, but most VAXens don't have disk drives as i
know. CD-Boot would also be nice, but who cas create a VAX-bootable
CD-ROM. I checked it out, it seems that the CD-BOOT on VAXen only work
with VMS-CDs. The file system must match and on an ISO9660 disc you only
get something like ?FILESTRUCT or so.
Netbooting is the way which seems to be the most easy way to get the
boxes running. It took me some time to get it working for the first
time, but since then it runs perfectly on my Linux box. (For the
interested: on http://www.camaronet.de/download/mop-survival-pack.tgz i
put together a little readme and the most important files for netbooting
from a Linux box. Maybe mopd is compiled for glibc, but if somebody uses
the old libc5, i could dig out my corrected sources and you can compile
it yourself.)

My way to get a box completely up and running:

Set up all necessary stuff for netbooting, this includes:
mopd listening on the ethernet
rarp compiled into the kernel, "rarp" installed.
an /etc/ethers with the correct entries
then "rarp -f" reads in those entries.
nfs server set up for the netbooting (/etc/exports)
bootparamd set up to tell the VAX about the important things.

No more details here, just look at my survival-pack

The untgz all binary packages into your netboot directory, put a usable
kernel in its root, if you don't want to use the one from the packages,
cd to dev in this dir and enter "./MAKEDEV std" to put in the most
important device files. Ignore any errors, most of them are due to other
group/user-id mapping on linux.
cd to etc in your netboot-root, edit rc.conf and maybe some other files
you find important (fstab is important, but it also works with trash in
it :-)

When you'r complete, fire up the VAX end hope it boots the kernel and
finds the nfs root. That's all. The first step to do with this booted
system:
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV all

Then all device files are correct.

This is not the most elegant way to get the system up, but it's the
fastest :-)

Good luck...

Michael (who is still looking for VS 4000 VLC info)