Subject: Re: VS 4000 VLC news
To: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/1999 21:22:54

> I took the most parts of the KA46 implementation and made some new
> sections for the KA48 bases on the KA46 ones. The both systems are more
> different as i thought. One strange thing: The VLC is detected as a
> MicroVAX, not VAXstation. What's the output on a 4000/60 ?

Whether it's a MicroVAX or VAXstation is checked in locore.c. This check
is erroneous for most machines, don't care so much about it.

> Does anybody know about cache control of the KA48 ? I disabled
> "cache_enable", otherwise the machine crashes.
> pmap_bootstrap now works, don't know why, i think i reversed all my
> changes :-)

You must have HW docs to know how to enable the cache. It is very
CPU-specific.

> "unsupported device 0 at vsbus0" is away for now, i disabled detection
> of a monochrome video. The VLC only has the LCG color framebuffer
> installed, no monochrome inside. 4000/60 again: does it have monochrome
> video ?
Not AFAIK.

> DZ only detects the console, no lkc, but this is not important at the
> moment (i didn't look at it, maybe lkc is only searched with a
> framebuffer present).

Sort of. lkc is only found if the machine is a (as previously checked)
VAXstation. There are no real check for any keyboard.

> The kernel now hangs in clock.c, no_nicr_clock(), when setting PR_ICCS
> it halts the system.

That should work. The problem may be that it hangs in the timer
interrupt following the enable of the clock. Eventually you can try to
use generic_clock() instead.

-- Ragge