Subject: VS 4000 VLC news
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/05/1999 21:09:55
Me again...

Ok, i have the kernel running a little bit now on the VAXstation 4000
VLC. (Don't now exactly why the console now works, but that's Murphy).

What's done:

I took the most parts of the KA46 implementation and made some new
sections for the KA48 bases on the KA46 ones. The both systems are more
different as i thought. One strange thing: The VLC is detected as a
MicroVAX, not VAXstation. What's the output on a 4000/60 ?

Missing information:

Does anybody know about cache control of the KA48 ? I disabled
"cache_enable", otherwise the machine crashes.
pmap_bootstrap now works, don't know why, i think i reversed all my
changes :-)
"unsupported device 0 at vsbus0" is away for now, i disabled detection
of a monochrome video. The VLC only has the LCG color framebuffer
installed, no monochrome inside. 4000/60 again: does it have monochrome
video ?
DZ only detects the console, no lkc, but this is not important at the
moment (i didn't look at it, maybe lkc is only searched with a
framebuffer present).

The kernel now hangs in clock.c, no_nicr_clock(), when setting PR_ICCS
it halts the system.

I think i need more CPU information now.

If anybody wants to try to get it running also, i could upload a list of
changes done by me onto my website.

If anybody has detailed information about hardware addresses and other
useful information on the KA48 cpu board, please contact me. (Maybe some
service manuals or so tell about this, i don't know, i have absolutely
no documentation for my DEC hardware).

So long... Michael