Subject: Re: WANTED: VS 4000 VLC (KA48) Info
To: Hans Christian Saustrup <hc@saustrup.dk>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@camaronet.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/04/1999 21:07:33
Hi all !

> Same here - I tried to netboot it, but it failed. I've been busy lately, so
> I haven't been following the list.

What's done at the moment:

The booter has been tested on other boxes, seems to run fine in the
actual version, in some cases you need to boot with "b/40", but ragge
works on that problem (maybe it's finished already).
I'll start to read the CVS related manpages to allow my changes being
included in the source package, at the moment i only try around, its a
little bit chaotic here, because of many trys to find out something
about the hardware of the 4000VLC.

The kernel boots, i currently put "return" into the cache_enable
function, because this was the first hang of the machine, now it hangs
somewhere in uvm_mapphys or so. I think, some fixed memory addresses
have changed to the 4000/60 and 3100/76, which i use as base for my
experiments, because they are very similar. And the console is not yet
working inside the kernel. Seems to be the same problem like in
Christophe's Microvax 3100, i could imagine the console port is another
port of the DZ as on the other boxes. I first try to get this fixed.
If i find the time at the weekend, i'll peek around a little bit in
memory and try to find out the missing information.

> > What i have:
> > SCSI is an Emulex Chip, something with 216.
>
> My VLC box has an NCR SCSI controller.. ? I can supply information based on
> which chips are in my pizzabox, but I have no idea about addresses and such.
> Please let me know if this can be usefull.

Ok, it should be a NCR53c94, which is also found in the 4000/60, this is
currently in work as i saw on the list. If my patches are in the
sources, we can include this support for the 4000 VLC while working on
it. I made a new define in include/sid.h, VAX_BTYP_48, the same value as
VAX_BTYP_440. If the 440 include is to be preffered or may be kicked out
now, where we know the real board name, Ragge could say me so by mail, i
am currently working with my new define, but we should include only one
of them in the include.

> > If anybody has some info of the above, please mail me, so we can start the
> > VLC port, there were some requests for it as i remember.
>
> I'd love to betatest! :)

As early as i see the copyright message and it mounts the root fs on my
server, i'll make it public for all, whi have standing around such
boxes. BTW again, in http://www.camaronet.de/download are bootp and
bootparams versions of the 4000 VLC-compatible bootloader.

*** Ragge, could you inform me about what to do with the VAX_BTYP_440 /
48 define ? Leave in the old, add the other or modify the old ? Board
type is KA48.

So long, i keep trying to get the pizza running.

Michael