Subject: Re: mVAX 3100/40 ??
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@auhs.edu>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1999 18:45:28
Correct, NetBSD/vax in its current state will not run on any KA45.

Not to say that anyone here has any idea of how easy or difficult it would
be to get NetBSD/vax ported to it... which I kind of think is why Ragge
may have been asking about the differences.  ;-)

Outside of the CPU being different, there's also the matter of what type
of serial, SCSI, and ethernet devices are present in that model of VAX.
And then how they're all strung together.  Where's Antonio?  He may know.

-brian.

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Andrew Brennan wrote:

>    Ok ... I believe this is clear enough to me, but nonetheless I would
>    like the answer to be shiny and crystalline.
>
> <specific density>
>    A uVAX 3100/40, using a KA45 motherboard/cpu is [a] not going to boot
>    NetBSD/vax via netboot, [b] not going to boot from tape should I find
>    some way of putting the OS on a tape and [c] not going to boot should
>    I manage to wipe a disk and load NetBSD/vax on the drive.
>
>    Further, no one has managed to boot NetBSD/vax on a KA45-based system
>    or it would be documented as "supported" hardware of some type.
> </specific density>
>
>    If this is the case, is the hardware sufficiently different from most
>    of the other uVAXen that this isn't going to be easy/possible?
>
>    I apologize for needing this beaten into my head, but I'm used to the
>    feeling that NetBSD will run on anything short of Etch-a-Sketchs (and
>    I use it on a number of old Macs).  Now that I'm thinking I'd run one
>    of my favorite OSs on the VAXen I have at home (uVAX 3100/40 and also
>    two VAXstation 4000/vlc systems) I'm discovering that this may not be
>    as easy as one-two-three.  I may have to drag the uVAX II home simply
>    to have a NetBSD/vax box on the home network.  :^)
>
>    andrew.

> > > What's the difference? Except from the box?
> >
> > Between the M30 and the M40? Nothing.  Both use the KA45 motherboard. (I
> > have a uVax 3100/M30).

---