Subject: Re: rc5des on NetBSD/vax
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1999 17:19:08
On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> As far as I know, the only Motorola 68k code available for Unix from
> distributed.net is still 25% slower than my code. (Although an "Amiga
> team"  member claimed that the experimental code he is working on does 1
> or 2% better than mine, but I can't verify that code is distributed, and
> can't use it on NetBSD, again as distributed.net has a strict
> binary-only policy and doesn't talk to outsiders about source).

They're now distributing the source for a benchmark and test-only version
of the client.  It doesn't support any of the networking needed to
actually send/receive keys.  The cores for quite a few architectures are
available.  It includes ANSI C cores, and then numerous assembler cores
for different platforms.

(http://www.distributed.net/cores/client-19990131.tar.gz)

It's something I guess, but I'm still a bit suprised that the full client
source isn't available.  I mean, it really seems like such a project
should be open minded and open source.  I submitted my diffs to get the
test-only client to compile under NetBSD/vax.  I can post them here if
anyone wants them.

-brian.
---