Subject: Re: mVAX 3100/40 ??
To: Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
From: Andrew Brennan <brennan@auhs.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/23/1999 19:04:43
   Ok ... I believe this is clear enough to me, but nonetheless I would
   like the answer to be shiny and crystalline.

<specific density>
   A uVAX 3100/40, using a KA45 motherboard/cpu is [a] not going to boot
   NetBSD/vax via netboot, [b] not going to boot from tape should I find
   some way of putting the OS on a tape and [c] not going to boot should
   I manage to wipe a disk and load NetBSD/vax on the drive.

   Further, no one has managed to boot NetBSD/vax on a KA45-based system
   or it would be documented as "supported" hardware of some type.
</specific density>

   If this is the case, is the hardware sufficiently different from most
   of the other uVAXen that this isn't going to be easy/possible?

   I apologize for needing this beaten into my head, but I'm used to the
   feeling that NetBSD will run on anything short of Etch-a-Sketchs (and
   I use it on a number of old Macs).  Now that I'm thinking I'd run one
   of my favorite OSs on the VAXen I have at home (uVAX 3100/40 and also
   two VAXstation 4000/vlc systems) I'm discovering that this may not be
   as easy as one-two-three.  I may have to drag the uVAX II home simply
   to have a NetBSD/vax box on the home network.  :^)

   andrew.