Subject: Re: rc5des on NetBSD/vax
To: Paul <repton@repton.org>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/1999 12:51:26
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Paul wrote:
>my vaxstation3100 managed about 1300keys/sec for rc5-64. for comparison,
>my diskless 386sx16 machines running linux nfs-root get about
>5800keys/sec, and (something a bit more recent) my k6-233 manages about
>390000keys/sec.
>
>i kinda gave up messing with it when i saw how slow it was. never mind.

  Most definitely.

  But...I want to remind folks that, just in case anyone has forgotten, that
this is about as far from an accurate measure of system performance as one can
get.  Good rc5 performance depends on certain instructions (rotates, if I
recall correctly) being supported by the processor in question.  Very few
processors have these instructions, Intel's and PowerPC being the only two
common ones that I'm aware of.  VAXen do not (also if I recall correctly).

  Just a reminder...Yes, most of the VAXen that NetBSD runs on are slow
ones...but they're not *that* slow.

  Now, the MicroVAX-I...*that's* slow! ;)

                             -Dave McGuire