Subject: Re: rc5des on NetBSD/vax
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/21/1999 02:01:43
On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Brian D Chase wrote:

> I made a few changes to the bovine rc5des to get it to compile under
> NetBSD/vax.  On my MicroVAX II the client benchmarks at 270.22 keys/sec
> for RC5 and at 2098.20 keys/sec for DES.  (FYI, that's really slow. :-)

Well with full optimization cranked on in gcc, the rc5des client now
performs quite a bit better.  The RC5 key rate is now 711.16 keys/sec on a
MicroVAX II, the DES rate is 3135.82 keys/sec.  That's about 2.6x as fast
on the RC5 and 1.5x as fast on the DES.

Given that the suggested key block size for RC5 was 2^28 keys, it would've
taken over 12 days to process one block with the unoptimized version.
With optimization it'll only take 4.5 days per block.  (vrooom)

-brian.
---