Subject: VAXstation 4000 VLC
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Hans Christian Saustrup <hc@saustrup.dk>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/08/1999 10:52:39
Hi!

I just joined the list, and I'm already excited! :-) A friend's father found
a VAXstation 4000 VLC somewhere in his corp's basement, and he passed it on
to me. I'm a UNIX enthusiast, and run Linux from my Pentium workstation, so
imaging my fright when I saw the thing ran VMS.
Another friend taught me how to boot it, but the really interesting thins he
said was ".. you know.. it runs NetBSD too.." :-) I checked out the NetBSD
site, and is seemed there was a version for VAXstation 4000/60 - I
downloaded the tape-boot-image, and threw it on an old Exabyte EXB8200
device, and when that didn't work, I tried dd'ing it on an scsi disk, but no
go.
_Does_ the d*mn thing run NetBSD, will it ever, and how soon? :) I'd like to
help out, but my knowledge about VAX'es is pretty limited. I can provide
some hardware specs if you haven't got them already.

Kind regards,
HC, Denmark

--
  Hans Christian Saustrup  [hc@saustrup.dk]