Subject: Re: 19990101 kernel panics
To: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/07/1999 17:32:30
I wrote:

> Oh, and I've finally got the January 23rd source tarballs completely
> built -- the 'make install' is running as I write this.  Few problems
> other than the general instability in the presence of memory hogs.

Interestingly, the only image that can't be built is 'mount' -- ld
gets a signal 11 on this, every time.  Even after installing the whole
new kit, and trying with the new compiler and linker, it's the same.

On the positive side: while the snapshot from December still has an
'nroff' that dumps core most of the time, so that man pages can't be
built, the newly built one from January 23rd is fine.  As mentioned
previously, this is with CFLAGS="-O2" in my /etc/mk.conf, which may
have an effect.  We know from before that compiling two of the source
files in the groff distribution without optimization fixed it with the
older compiler.

Anyway, I'm happily running a January 23rd -current now, and looking
forward to further improvements ahead.  Thanks again!  This is fun!

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity.  --Niles Crane, "Frasier"