Subject: Re: MicroVAX I: in need of modern OS.
To: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/05/1999 12:17:12

> Based on the circuit board markings, I'm fairly positive that I've got one
> of the G_float systems.  The problem being that GCC generates D_float
> opcodes and operands for the double and long double C types.  This opens
> up a nasty set of problems for any applications which rely on double or
> greater precision floating point operations.  Hopefully the kernel doesn't
> rely on any FP ops.  I'm sure we can still get NetBSD up and running on
> this.

The kernel does not rely on any floating-point, so that's no problem.
Does it use MTPR for console in/out? If it does, it will be simple to
get the kernel to say at least "hello".
Is there some sort of VMB in prom? How does the machine boot?
Part 2 of this is to make the uba routines to stop careing about map
registers, but that will also be rather simple I suppose.

-- Ragge