Subject: MicroVAX I: in need of modern OS.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/04/1999 01:20:11
After a certain amount of struggling, I've managed to get an old MicroVAX
I up and running to a >>> prompt.  It looks like the RD52 is dead, or at
least missing any sort of OS.  The system does have an RX50 which I still
need to test out with some boot media.

According the VAX Arch Ref Manual, the MicroVAX I processor actually
includes the CMPC3, LOCC, SCANC, SKPC, and SPANC string instructions which
are omitted in the MicroVAX II.  I suppose that good news :-)  Anyway, I'd
like to see NetBSD/vax support this processor.  It would be the slowest
VAX CPU to support NetBSD/vax to date.  In fact it's likely to be the
slowest CPU capable of supporting NetBSD aside from maybe the 11/730. Both
the 11/730 and the MicroVAX I run at 0.3 VUPS.  According to the DEC specs
I've seen, this is about the same speed at which the lowly MicroPDP-11/53
runs.  I don't know, with the recent addition of the VS4000/60 it just
seems like we should also expand a little into the slower systems.

I don't know if the MicroVAX I supports MOP booting or not.  It seems like
it's so old they might not have been thinking about such frivolous
features as netbooting. I do have a 4Meg memory board in the system, so it
should be in relatively good shape wrt resources for running NetBSD.

-brian.
---