Subject: MicroVAX I questions.
From: Brian D Chase <bdc@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/02/1999 02:23:49
I'm attempting to resurrect an old MicroVAX I so that it may eventually be
blessed with NetBSD/vax support, but I'm having some troubles.  It's in a
BA23 enclosure.  If I just power the system up with the M7136+M7135 data
path and memory control boards, it gets to diagnostic 3.  These two boards
come with some sort of interconnect ribbon.

The machine also came with two M7551-CA MSV11 4Meg memory boards.  If I
power up the system with one or both of these, the diagnostics make it
very quickly to a blinking 1.  Now, as far as my best guess goes, the
M7551 boards are actually for MicroPDP-11's.  Were these also used in
MicroVAX I systems? I'm used to MicroVAX II's where the memory boards are
cabled together with the CPU board.  I suppose the MicroVAX I could be
handling memory accesses through the Q-bus.  And then it also has a DZV11
and RQDX1, but I'm ignoring them until I can get this thing to come up
properly.

Anyone have familiarity with the MicroVAX I?  Are the MSV11 boards even
compatible?

-brian.
---