Subject: Re: Hurrah!
To: None <tom@soryu.pas.rochester.edu>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/1999 20:55:12
>Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:58:57 -0800 (PST)
>From: tom <tom@soryu.pas.rochester.edu>
>
>Can I just put the boot loader right on the SCSI drive?  There didn't seem to
>be one for "sd" devices in /usr/mdec/boot.  I'd love to get rid of the need
>to boot from the network.  (I might try doing this w/a floppy as well, though
>I'm not sure if the boot image can see the SCSI drives.  Can't hurt to try,
>though...)

Yes, sort of.  All the boot files in /usr/mdec are the same, so pick
any of them.  There isn't working support for SCSI drives, but if you
install the boot blocks on a disk and boot from that, you can manually
enter "rom(0,0)/netbsd" as the boot path.  It's not pretty but it gets
the job done.  If you want it to boot automatically, you might look
for a kludge I posted here a year or two ago in the mailing list
archives (basically it changes the default kernel path from "/netbsd"
to "rom(0,0)/netbsd" in two lines in the boot source code).

>- Is support for the SCSI controllers in the 4000/60 and the 3100/M76
>forthcoming?  (I've got several of each sitting here, and I would love
>to have the extra speed since the 3100/M38 is "kinda pokey". :) )

I posted a patch here a few weeks ago that will help you with the m76.
Look in the mailing list archives for the patch (and also for an
explanation of why all of it didn't make it into the tree).

Cheers,
entropy