Subject: Re: RD53s and swapping
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/25/1999 18:48:59
On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> It finished formatting... so now I at least have local swap.  But I'm
> still seeing the same problem -- swapping doesn't seem to work too well:
> the machine deadlocks.  I'm running 19990101 generic kernel.  vmstat
> looks like this:

[...]

I have for a log time suffered from similar problems. I compiled a new
kernel friday, and it seems to work better. I'm just about to start
serious testing...

> I'm currently downloading the packages for 1.3.2 to see if that makes
> any difference.  (Although shared libraries on a 6MB box is really the
> way to go, I'll take whatever's reliable.)

1.3.2 has been much more reliable, in my opinion. Hopefully, things are
getting better now, but wait and see.

As for memory shartage, having shared libraries really don't help you at
all. Actually, you'll likely loose some.

The libraries are shared on disk, not in memory.
It will do wonders for disk space, though...

I'm not sure under which circumstances code is shared under current BSD.
Someone please enlighten me. I'm still at the old sticky-bit stadium...

	Johnny