Subject: Q: snapshot tape install?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <jsturges@gmri.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/19/1999 08:28:37
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to install the 12/1/98 snapshot on a uVax-II.  I'm booting from
TK50, but I've got the sets available via NFS.

Anyway, my problem lies in getting the miniroot booted from the swap
partition.  Everytime I boot it, I get the very beginning of the "spinner",
and then it croaks with a "DBL ERR" and halts.
So the first time this happened, I thought that maybe my tape was bad (my
TK50 drive is moody).  But after cleaning the TK50's heads and re-creating
the tape, and writing the miniroot to a *different* (and known good) RD54,
it still happens.

So I guess what I need to know is...
*  Is there anything wrong with "miniroot.fs" in the snapshot dir?  Can
someone send an MD5 fingerprint?  I suppose it could've been mangled in
transit.
*  Can I use the original miniroot from the distribution?  The only thing
that would probably be different is that I'd end up with the /boot from the
original miniroot, not the snapshot.  I can replace the original kernel
with the one from 1/1/99, and I've got the sets from the snapshot, too.
Would it be bad to use the original /boot from the 1.3.2 release miniroot?

Thanks for any guidance here...

-Jonathan