Subject: Re: Unknown Hardware in VAX3500
To: NetBSD/VAX <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Philipp Buehler <Philipp.Buehler@xlink.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/11/1999 09:29:43
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo wrote:
> > TOY ?
>
> Time-Of-Year.  Sorry -- should have said so at once.
Thx.

> > What happens, if this pack is dismounted or discharged?
>
> The machine always asks what operator language to use at power-on, and
> will not retain boot configuration information.  Also, the clock will
> not run, so the OS will always complain that its date/time is bogus,
> and suggest that you set it correctly.  If you use ntpdate/xntpd, this
> is no problem, of course.
> Give the existing NiCd pack a couple of days with power on before
> giving up on it, though.

Oh, I was just thinking of it. I hope it is not discharged for now (the
machine was only "offpower" for 6 months). And I even didnt disconnect
the battery pack before asking about it ;))

How can I "ask" the machine about the existing configuration to write it
down (I still have no serial printer for the vt220).

Thanks for all the useful information :) If you want to track a little the
collected information about the machines you can look this up on
http://www.fips.de/computer/mv3500.html and mvII.html (english versions also)
The pages are strictly lynxable :))

ciao
--
Philipp Buehler, aka fIpS | <lonely stuff > | double-p on IRC
VAX/OpenVMS: No compromise computing.