Subject: Re: Update: TK50 tapes
To: Bruce Lane <kyrrin@bluefeathertech.com>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/02/1999 11:20:03

> 	Although the boot appeared to go OK, the machine (apparently) froze shortly after it recognized that there was a bootable tape in the drive. The 'Run' light remained on, but the whole thing simply stood still.
>

> 	My next step was to try booting the same tape on a different machine; a MicroVAX II (KA630). It booted, and got to a NetBSD prompt, but kept going:
>

> /netbsd
>
> Not a directory
>
> :

It is something wrong with how your tape is written. You get this error
message from the ufs code if the root directory is garbage.
You have been able to write the boot code with the correct blocksize
though, otherwise the machine ROM refuses to load the tape at all.

Have you tried to boot the KA630 from the latest snapshot?

-- Ragge