Subject: Re: VS3100 SCSI-support missing?
To: None <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/23/1998 11:46:24
>Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 12:33:45 +0100 (MET)
>From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
>
>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, maximum entropy wrote:
>>
>> The way the bootloader and kernel are arranged in memory upon booting
>> changed recently.  I know you definitely cannot boot a new kernel
>> using an old loader, and it doesn't surprise me too much that you
>> can't boot an old kernel with the new loader.
>
>Uh. I seem to remember successfully booting a new kernel with the old
>loader, you just have to remember to add bit 6 to the bootparam (0x40).

OK.  I never tried that.  Ragge did mention at one point that b/40
would help "avoid some [of] the problems", but he didn't say precisely
which ones.  He did definitely say, on 12/6/98:

# It seems as your boot loader is too old; it doesn't move itself up to
# a secure address and gets overwritten by the kernel. Try a newer
# loader.

I wouldn't have thought that loading the symbol table would cause the
old loader to relocate itself.  That's too much magic for me...

Cheers,
entropy