Subject: Re: VS3100 and the new snapshot kernel... (solved)
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@Frankfurt.NetSurf.DE>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/1998 21:18:42
Andrew Gillham wrote
>maximum entropy writes:
>> >Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 10:40:18 +0100
>> >From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
>> >
>[..]
>>
>> >Mhmm, maybe there is a (new?) kernel parameter that needs tweaking. How
>> >much memory does you machine have? I currently have 16 MB in the machine
>>
>> I'm pretty sure it has 16M.  I'll check later, and if I'm wrong I'll
>> let you know.
>
>Mine has 24MB.  Same problem.  Perhaps it is related to the CL*
calculations
>discussed earlier?  My kernel reports:

Hi,

although I can boot my VS3100 now, I seem to have caught another illness
-( I wiped out my mixed up system and installed the snapshot from
'ftp.netbsd.org' but now I keep getting

    a) Panics of two flavours ('kmem_map' or 'trap 2')
    b) 'Profiling timer expired'

I remember reading something about this 'Profiling timer' thing several
weeks ago, but I don't remember if it was on port-vax or port-pmax...
Although I really appreciate the progress that has been made on the VAX port
recently I get the feeling that the current snapshot is - uhm - a bit
unstable :-/ I don't think that it is flaky hardware since the same system
runs Ultrix 4.4 quite fine. I've run several exercisers (network and memory,
at least) for several days just to make sure the system is ok...

later,
Marc