Subject: Re: VS3100 and the new snapshot kernel... (solved)
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/1998 10:40:18
maximum entropy wrote:
[...]
> >Now I'll try to build a
> >kernel with SCSI support and see how well this will go...
>
> I wasn't able to build a new kernel though.  When compiling
> kern/init_main.c I consistently get:
>
> panic: malloc: out of space in kmem_map
> Stopped in cc1 at       0x8000fb68:     mfpr    $18, r0

I've been out of town for several days and just got a chance to give the
compile another try. Now it's my turn for a 'Me too' :-) Since I have no
debugger compiled into the kernel it simply panics into the PROM monitor
:-(

Are you running the snapshot kernel or a custom built kernel? I'm
currently downloading the snapshot to get a 'clean' system. What is on
my 3100 at the moment is a bit - uhm - mixed up mother goose :-)

Mhmm, maybe there is a (new?) kernel parameter that needs tweaking. How
much memory does you machine have? I currently have 16 MB in the machine
and another 16 MB board lying around... But to fit this I would have to
dig through a real pile of machines - and I'm lazy :-) I think I'll do a
bit of code staring later today to see if I can find any reason for the
panic...

later,
Marc