Subject: Re: Problems with KA650 and -current
To: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih@nhh.no>
From: Anders Magnusson <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/10/1998 22:10:22
[...]
> thereabouts of machdep.c, it's divided by CLSIZE!  This seems to be a
> misunderstanding carried over from other ports, where CLSIZE is 1
> (because what we used to call a click is 1), and it doesn't matter.
> With a CLSIZE of 8, we get 1/8 the buffer space we intended.  This
> also affects swap buffer header allocation, of course.

This is now fixed. Reason to the bug: Once upon a time a "core click"
was NBPG; i.e. 512 byte on vax. Variables like physmem was in core
clicks and therefore needed conversions when using VM pages (which
were of CLBYTES size; 1k on vax). Somehow the world changed, but not
the vax port, therefore the problem. This is also a real bug in all
other ports, but because CLSIZE is 1 on them it doesn't matter.

> Now, this has me a bit worried.  Sure, this might be the only place
> this error is found, but if similar erroneous uses of CLSIZE (or the
> failure to take it into account) are found elsewhere in the code (and
> it doesn't have to be below /sys/arch/vax, either), there might be
> interesting trouble.  A quick grep shows that the VAX is the only of
> the NetBSD ports that has a CLSIZE that isn't 1.

I know :-/ Actually, I think the best solution would be to nuke the CL*
defines and only go for the NBPG as the MI pagesize.

-- Ragge