Subject: Serial console 3100/M30?
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jorgen Pehrson <jp@spektr.ludvika.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/07/1998 19:01:42
Hi,
I was just given an old 3100/M30 with 8MB RAM and a monochrome
framebuffer. I thought it would be a shame to let them throw the system
away so I rescued it. I was thinking of running NetBSD on this computer.
I've been able to make it netboot, but I've got one problem (or maybe not,
you decide... :)

 83 BOOT SYS
-ESA0
>> NetBSD/vax boot [980110 22:29] <<
:/netbsd
boot: client IP address: 138.227.74.23
boot: client name: piroz
root addr=138.227.74.11 path=/usr2/home2/infjope/vaxroot
700416+38912+75784 start 0x9c078
[here all output stops at my monitor]

I read somewhere that the framebuffer in the 3100 wasn't supported so that
would explain why the kernel doesn't output any text to it..

BUT - it looks like the kernel does output something. Something is
flimmering in the background at this point. And when hacking blindly at
the keyboard it looks like the flickering is changing.

So I guess I could use a serial console on this beast. What's the magic
to make that work? On the 4000/90 there's a switch to toggle and maybe
"set console s". Guess I can't do that on this 3100 since the PROM seems
to be as limited as the MicroVAXII.

I have tested with a VT420 connected to the serial port with a Digital
MMJ BC16E-10 cable. (Which works on the 4000/90 I might add)

(I'm using the kernel and bootstuff from the 1.3.2 distribution, btw)

Any ideas?

Jorgen Pehrson                  HP 9000/380 (NetBSD/hp300 1.3)
jp@spektr.ludvika.se            DECstation 5000/200 (NetBSD/pmax 1.3)
http://spektr.ludvika.se/museum PDP11/83 (2.11BSD) VAX2000 (NetBSD/vax)