Subject: Re: NetBSD on A VAX4000 M200
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Allison J Parent <allisonp@world.std.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/06/1998 19:54:47
Marco Ermini:

< PS. where I can get informations (data sheets or similar) on the DEC CPU
< Do you think it's *impossible* that NetBSD at the actual state-of-the-ar
< will work on this machine? is the CPU totally different from the CPUs
< supported by NetBSD?

It's not the CPU it's the peripherals (DISKS and TAPE interfaces to the
CPU).

I'd seriously look at VMS for that machine and if it's used for non-profit
use contact DEC/COMPAQ for the possibility of license donation for an
older copy of VMS.  Current VMS is 7.1 or 7.2 and here in the USA ther is
a free hobby license for 5.4 through 6.1 so you may have luck along that
path.  The only other choice to put the system to use without investing
in considerable development is Digitals (again now compaq) version of
unix.

< In second: I will be glad if you can help me getting started on writing
< support for this type of VAX (if it's not on the mailing lists purposes,
< will be glad if you write to me directly, of course if it's not a grat
< time-conmsuming task for you).

You will need detailed documetation for the IO subsystems of that machine
before you can move forward.  This lack of information has held up the
NetBSD program in the past.  FYI: the VMS gray wall (manuals, 17 volumes
or more!) have a lot of the information from the VMS perpective and is a
valuable source.

I don't represent the VMS or NetBSD team and am speaking of experience
with both.

Allison