Subject: VS3100 and the new snapshot kernel...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Marc Gutschner <Marc.Gutschner@triplan.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/04/1998 11:29:16
Hi,

I'm currently having some - uhm - bizarre problems with the current VAX
kernels and my VS3100/m38. I compiled myself a kernel from -current
source sup'd one or two days ago. The compile itself went really smooth
but as soon as I tried to boot, the kernel get's loaded and immediateley
bombs out with a 'RESTART SYS' :-( After this I thought "OK, let's play
it safe' and downloaded the 'kern.tgz' from the new snapshot on
ftp.netbsd.org - but it exhibits exactly the same behaviour. A '1.3G'
kernel I've lying around works just fine on this machine and Ultrix 4.4
is rock-solid, too. Is anybody else experiencing this phenomenon with
current kernels? Do I need a new boot-block (i.e. MOP loader) that does
some initialization dances the current kernels depend on?

MTIA for any input :-)
Marc