Subject: Re: Problems getting started
To: Dearing Albin <ADearing@davey.com>
From: Michael Kukat <MichaelKukat@alphacom.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/11/1998 23:00:57
Hi !

> I have been trying to netboot at Vaxstation 4000 model 60 using the latest
> binaries off of a Redhat installation.
> The only activity I get on the Vax is---- ? 54 Retry
> And no activity on the MOPD screen.
> I have also been following Brian Chases Network Booting HowTO.
> Any ideas??

Ok, go to your Linux box ad try:

tcpdump -i eth0 proto not \(\\tcp or \\udp or \\icmp\)

(if your ether is eth0)

then try to boot the VAXstation and watch the linux console. You shold
see a dump of "MOPRC" and "MOPDL" packets. If so far, well done. If you
got the mopd sources and compiled them yourself, and this doesnt run
(even not with mopd -d), you don't get any etries in /var/log/messages,
maybe you have a bug in the sources. (There was something... If it's the
case, i should look at the sources, i changed something and it worked)

Try it, and especially look at /var/log/messages, if you get entries.

cu.. Michael