Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/02/1998 11:44:16
On Sat, 31 Oct 1998, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> You are dreaming. Unix have nothing that prevents several people from
> readin and writing to the same file. It's a free world... :-)
> (Now, RSX is another matter... :-)

You have spoiled me on the pdp-11. *sigh* if we only had some cooling...

> No, getty don't know, and don't care about /var/spool/lock, and
> neither does cat, echo, csh or just about all other programs in Unix.
> Thos who *do* care about /var/spool/lock are the exception, even though
> those are the ones you usually use most of the time you want to talk out
> on a serial port.
>
> And it's still just a software issue, the operating system don't give you
> any protection.

Yikes. So i am free to shoot myself at will. nice to know.

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*