Subject: Shared lirbaries for the VAX port are now enabled
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org, current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/31/1998 01:55:54
I have committed the final changes to enable shared libraries
on the VAX port.  I have successfully rebuilt NetBSD/vax using
a system which is running shared libraries.

To support shared libraries, the VAX port now uses EGCS and
gas.new.

Some caveats though:

	1)  Due to an EGCS bug, some files don't build at -O.
	    But they build at either -O0 or -O2 (I've been doing
	    my builds at -O2).

	    So place CFLAGS=-O2 in your /etc/mk.conf.

	2)  When linking shared, you will see lots of RRS text
	    relocations (usually for ___sF).  This is due to the
	    way a.out shared libraries interact with VAX
	    addressing interacting with a limitation of ld(1).
	    I will fix this when I move the toolchain to ELF
	    someday.

So almost 2 decades since BSD starting running on VAXes, it now
has shared libraries. :-)
Sunnyvale, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message