Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1998 23:31:50
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > while this getty was running, the login banner came up after i had typed a
>
> Uhm. I guess you tried to type a return key at the vt320?

yes. but if kermit is not running there is no response at all.
When kermit is running, but not i "connect" mode, thus not listening, just
keeping the port open, the terminal works fine for login and doing stuff.

> > bit from kermit to the terminal and back, and every other character typed
> > on the terminal on ttyS0 was sent to kermit, and every other char came to
> > the login program.
>
> Yes. You have to stop getty to run kermit. If both run, both will compete
> for the input characters.

True. But if i do _not_ run kermit on the same port, i can not login.
Apparently kermit does the port config, and then the getty works, but gety
does still not work by itself...

I find it strange that getty and kermit actually are allowed to compete
for the same port. i thought that the first process to talk to the port
would allocate it, and prevent any more processes from using that port?!?
atleast there must be some system for this e.g.  /var/spool/locks/LCK...
files. Does getty not honor these locks? Do i have to turn something
special on to get this kind of managment functionality?

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*