Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out!
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/30/1998 11:30:29
On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 10:16:27PM +0100, Ronny Svedman wrote:
> > On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
> >=20
> > ttyS0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt320 on secure local softcar=20
>=20
> Please check whether this getty process really is running, and send us
> ps -l output showing it. (e.g., ps -laxw | grep getty)

    0   278   247  24  34  0   208    0 -      R+   p4    0:00.40 grep gett=
y=20
    0 269 1 13 3 0 295 0 ttyin IWs+ S0 0:00.50 /usr/libexec/getty std.9600
ttyS0

Oops, my mailer formatted the text.. well its only missing a few spaces.

I noticed one strange thing..

when i started kermit and=20
"set line /dev/ttyS0"=20
"set flow none"
"set handsh none"
"set speed 9600"
"connect"

while this getty was running, the login banner came up after i had typed a
bit from kermit to the terminal and back, and every other character typed
on the terminal on ttyS0 was sent to kermit, and every other char came to
the login program. Strange indeed. when i escaped back to the local kermit
prompt I could use the second terminal to login, and it was working
smoothly, but the same second i exited kermit on teh console, the second
terminal wouldnt listen to the keyboard any more.=20

I started kermit again (as root this time too) on the console terminal,
nothing happened. set line /dev/ttyS0, voila: a new login banner on the
second terminal, and my old session that disappeard as i stopped kermit
seems to have been lost that instant.

this time i did not use the "connect" command in kermit, but exited kermit
right away. This time i got an error message from kermit :

"warning: a serial conection may still be active on /dev/ttyS0"

indeed. Now i have exited kermit, and the login program on the second
terminal is still alive.

so, as far as i can tell, my problem is that the getty does not quite
manage to set the carrier detect and/or rts/cts and/or dtr/dsr handshakes
to "ignore". and so i lose.

I do hope that there is some configuring option that i have missed, but if
there isn't this must be a bug.

By the way: shouldnt kermit lock up the line? it seems odd that kermit and
getty/login could co-exist on the same line. Both program's output showed
up on th eterminal, and they read every other character typed....

I believe i can reproduce this behaviour...

So, to sum it up: this cuts it! I am now Completely Confused.

And: to make it even worse: i will be going away for the weekend, so i
don't have time to keep this up for now. Cryiong shame, isn't it ? now
when i=E4m finally getting somewhere!

*sigh*

Thanks for all your help!

* Ronny Svedman  =09ronny@update.uu.se=09=09*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia=09*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny=09*
* Sweden    =09=09+46-018/550404=09=09=09*