Subject: Re: Serial lines & terminals & getty. PLEASE help me out! (fwd)
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Ronny Svedman <ronny@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/29/1998 22:30:57
On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > I want the vt320 to have 9600, no parity, eight bit, xon/xoff, ignore
> > carrier/dsr/dtr/rts/cts/cd/whatever.
> >
> > the tektronix needs 7 bit, no paity, 2400bps.
> >
> > I have given up on trying to understand the not-human-readable termcap an
>
> Termcap is human readable, given the output of man 5 termcap.  But you
> dont _need_ to read (or write) it; it has entries for, e.g. "tek4014"
> and "vt320".
>
> Same for gettytab. Just use the "std.9600" and "std.2400" entries.
> You might need a special gettytab entry for the 7bit tektronix, but
> as the std.xxx entries are :np: (no parity) you should get away without
> even that.
>
> Summarizing the above, your /etc/ttys entries should be something like
>
> ttyS1	"/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"	vt320 on softcar local
> ttyS2	"/usr/libexec/getty std.2400"	tek4014 on softcar local

that is exactly what i have, except the vt320 is hooked on (and defined
on) ttyS0, and the tektronix is not hooked at all (yet) so the rest of
ttyS(1 to 8) is marked off. I figured i would get the vt320:s working
first, and then move on to the "odd" hardware =)

> Note that I don't know whether S1 and S2 are right. Somebody else might want
> to correct me.

/dev/ttyS0 is talking to the vt320 in kermit, so that must be correct.

> to make the "softcar" and "local" active, you need to:
> - change the "on" to "off" on both lines.
> - kill -HUP 1
> - ttyflags -va
> - change to "off" back to "on"
> - kill -HUP 1
>
> Simply rebooting will take care of these details.

I didnt know i needed to give any "ttyflags" command, but i rebooted the
machine (using "reboot")

> a line and add it to a mail message, so that others can look at it.

I'm sorry, i should of course have thought of that before. I have pasted
in my entry in the two previous mails tonight.. my apologies.

/Ronny

Oh, by the way:
'
Thank you for bothering with me!

* Ronny Svedman  	ronny@update.uu.se		*
* Sturegatan 12A :123   Lando_C, in IRCnet #australia	*
* 75314 UPPSALA         http://www.update.uu.se/~ronny	*
* Sweden    		+46-018/550404			*